Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Turn Your Head and Cough

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Back in those golden days when my iPod still loved and embraced me, shutting out the rest of the world, I had a few quality mixes I would turn to. Extended DJ sets and the such. I was going to share a few key ones, but as I searched through my files I realized a few things

1. Club bangers CAN and DO get played out, and thats ok
2. I haven't downloaded a proper extended mix in a while
3. Dr. Auratheft left his mark on my heart

Who is Dr. Auratheft?

Im not entirely sure, to tell you the truth. Happened upon him on a message board (presumably Hollerboard) sometime in the spring, downloaded a grip of his sets and haven't looked back since. I think he's Dutch. I know he's hella versatile and prolific.

Check his site: Get your medicine

Don't expect your average club mix. It's none of that. Ive got some catching up to do with the good Doctor but some of my favorites include:

War at Dirty Jims- Calypso war songs...think a predecessor to todays hip-hop battles

Bohemia After Dark- Soulful, and jazzy with just a dash of hip-hop. Makes you want to break out your smoking jacket...or at least pour that Steel Reserve into a glass like a grown man do.

Shout Sister Shout- When only the raspy voice of a woman will do, pretty little crackle-pops and all.

Sister Deejay's Summer Mood- Quality reggae. No gunshots. No airhorns.

Bam Bam- A mento mix that just gets you feeling right for a long day of grey winter streets. Mento sounds like a well blended cross between calypso, reggae, and folk music and sorta gets you feelin warm all over.

Dont sleep on the King Tubbys mixes either....
And really basically anything Ive downloaded from him has been a good time and a mini history lesson. This my friends is universal healthcare at its finest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Thanks for your kind words. Just love music and love to share it. And yes, Dr. Auratheft is a Dutch dude. Best wishes.