Friday, March 30, 2007

The Nature of Permanence

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
When I was a child in my fathers car, I would watch the city zip by from the back window and read the rooftops from the highway. I remember seeing COST REVS wheat-pastes on every crosswalk light in the city in the mid to late nineties. For a while I truly thought REVS was running for office.

One of my all-time favorite pieces I could only see from the BQE. REVS image of Sisyphus pushing the stone of Life up the hill with a checkerboard beneath him. I found what seems to be a recreation of that piece a few weeks back in East Williamsburg. It was a strangely sentimental moment.

REVS journey as an artist has always amazed me. He wrote a book inside the tunnels of the subway. Each wall a new page of his life. I mean this in the most literal of senses. He wrote his story deep in those tunnels and I always dreamt of reading them first hand. For now I just collect snippets.

Thanks to Wooster Collective for posting this video today, to help me remember the writer who made me look at each wall twice.

No comments: